Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jack - Two Weeks

Our big boy is already two weeks old. Time is really flying by! Sometimes I look at him and I just want to freeze time. He has his two week appointment tomorrow, and I'm curious to see how much he weighs. I have a feeling he's surpassed his birth weight, but we'll see.
As of late, Jack has been spending more of his time alert. He likes to look at our goofy faces and lights. He is able to tolerate his bouncy chair a little more now, but he mostly enjoys being held. He really doesn't like to have his clothes changed, but he tolerates diaper changes much better and hasn't peed or pooped on me in two days while in the middle of a diaper change. Maybe I should give myself more credit for that for having quicker mom reflexes :) I think he's going through a growth spurt because his feeding schedule is back to every hour to 2.5 hours. He doesn't give me the long 3 hours stretches as much anymore. I'm sure this will change again. I'm being flexible and following his cues.
On a different note, I wanted to write about Jack's delivery story before the details fade. Things are already starting to get fuzzy so for my own memory and so I can share it with Jack, here's his delivery story:
On Monday January 11th (Jack's due date), I had an appointment with my ob. I was dilated to 3cm, so she scheduled an induction for the 18th, but also said she could strip my membranes to see if that got things moving along. That next morning,things started progressing, but I wasn't having contractions. Then our toilet broke. I'm sure glad I called a plumber to get it fixed on Tuesday, even if it put us out $300, because my water broke that night, Tuesday January 12th, around 7:30pm. Brant and I were laying in bed, Brant drifting off to sleep and me reading, when I felt a kick, a pop, and a gush. I jumped out of bed as quick as I could and told Brant my water had broken, which made him jump out of bed quicker than I've ever seen him move. After giving each other a high five, we proceeded to run around the house like crazy people, packing last minute items, Brant getting a sub lined up, and feeding the cats a couple days worth of food.
We got to the hospital, with a stop at 7-11 so Brant could get a Vitamin Water, and they checked me out to make sure my water had really broken and then checked me into a labor and delivery room. I started having contractions about every 5 minutes or so, but I was still joking around and laughing with Brant. We walked the halls of the hospital for a half hour or so, then my nurse and I decided to start pitocin. My parents arrived, with 32 oz. cups of coffee in hand, and I started to work through 11 hours of hard contractions. The only position that felt comfortable to me was on an exercise ball. I sat on that ball for a good 8 or 9 hours working through contractions every 3 minutes. It was getting late into the morning, and I was exhausted. Brant had to sit behind me while I was on the ball because I started to fall asleep in between contractions. My nurse checked me around 5 am and I was still 3 cm's dilated. This was frustrating, but I decided to focus my energy on other things instead of the fact that I had been through almost 10 hours of labor with no progress.
At about 7am, the nurse and I decided an epidural was the next step so that I could get some rest. Let me tell you, Dr. Dennis, the anesthesiologist, was my best friend when he got my epidural going. Sweet relief!
The nurses were watching me closely at this point, because my water had been broken for so long. They checked me again and I was 4 cm. At this point, they started noticing drops in Jack's heart rate when I would have a contraction. They gave me an oxygen mask to wear, which seemed to help a little, but they were still concerned. They thought that since my water had been broken for so long, that things were getting cramped for Jack and that maybe his umbilical cord was getting pinched. My dr. decided to do an amniotic infusion where they put liquid up into the womb to help with the stress for the baby. The dr. said that if this didn't work, they would most likely need to do a c-section. This was around noon, and both Brant and I were getting worried about the baby's health. A c-section didn't seem so bad and we just wanted our baby here happy and healthy. Before the amniotic infusion, the Dr. checked me and luckily I had progressed to 6 cm. They did some tinkering with the pitocin, kept me on oxygen, and within 2 hours I went from 6 cm to 9cm. Getting from 9 cm to 10 cm seemed to take forever though! Finally, it was time to push. I pushed for around one hour before Jack made his grand entrance. They set him on my chest, wiped him down and then put him skin to skin against my chest. It was a beautiful moment. Brant and I were in tears as well as both sets of Grandparents. I held Jack on my chest and didn't want to let him go!

No comments:

Post a Comment