Don't people always say that you should get a dog before having kids? Instead of a dog, Brant and I have two cats. One of them, Pita, is very much a cat. She's independent, sassy, reclusive, skittish, and everything has to be on her terms. Cuddling, petting, looking at her...it all has to be because she wants it. Pita was a feral 5 week old kitten when we got her. She was so small and is such bad shape. She was in such bad shape that the first thing I did when I brought her home was give her a bath. I'm sure that wasn't the best way to start off our relationship, but she was so badly infested with fleas, cat lice, and ear mites that I had to. When Brant came home that first night we had her, Pita curled up on his shoulder and fell asleep. Ever since then she's been a daddy's girl. But even with Brant, it still has to be on her terms. Buster on the other hand, he's much more dog than cat. Buster's rescue story was a little different. We got him through Sherwood Cat Adoption Team,
which I highly recommend for anyone looking to rescue a cat. He was fostered with his mom and siblings at a very nice lady's home. Brant and I met him first at the foster mom's house and then I picked him up after he was neutered when he was 10 weeks old. Buster comes when he's called, he loves attention, he is playful and a people cat. He's very curious, shows his excitement, and loves to be the center of attention. He's a talker too, and he grunts, which is about the funniest cat sound ever. Buster is very much a mama's boy.
which I highly recommend for anyone looking to rescue a cat. He was fostered with his mom and siblings at a very nice lady's home. Brant and I met him first at the foster mom's house and then I picked him up after he was neutered when he was 10 weeks old. Buster comes when he's called, he loves attention, he is playful and a people cat. He's very curious, shows his excitement, and loves to be the center of attention. He's a talker too, and he grunts, which is about the funniest cat sound ever. Buster is very much a mama's boy. I had to take Buster to get his rabies vaccine today, and I couldn't help but think how these cats have shown me just a glimpse of what parenthood has in store for us. When Buster wakes me up so he can sleep on my pillow at 2 am, I think of the late night feedings I'll be doing in a little over 2 months. When the cats are whining for food and demanding our attention, I think of the little one that will take over our lives soon and become our number one priority. When I was holding Buster in my arms today as he was waiting to get his vaccination, scared so badly that he piddled and kept trying to hide his little head under my chin, I couldn't help but think of the boo boos I'll be kissing soon, and most likely the tears I'll be shedding along with our baby boy as he gets his vaccinations too.
It may seem like a stretch that cats can teach you anything about parenthood, but I am making that stretch tonight. If it's even only a slice or a smidgen or a tiny piece of what parenthood is like, owning two very different cats has taught me a little something.
I can't wait to meet this little guy and experience 100% what parenthood is about.

Sweet. M
ReplyDeleteGreat post, photos and I like your new format.
ReplyDelete