There's this myth out there that men have about pregnant women. Supposedly, our brains shrink 3-5% while we're pregnant. I first heard this myth from Brant's brother while his wife Bethany was pregnant. I'm pretty sure either Bethany or I hit him when he brought it up. Jake got this information from a book called "The Expectant Father - Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-Be"
I bought this book for Brant when we found out we were expecting and today I decided to look up exactly what this book has to say about my brain size, because let me tell you, I think my brain is shrinking more than 3-5%. The book states "Anita Holdcroft, an English anesthesiologist, found that during pregnancy, women's brains actually get 3 to 5 percent smaller. Now that you know this, it's probably best that you keep it to yourself. After all, there's really no nice way to tell someone that her brain is shrinking. You could mention it in the hope that your partner will forget it right away, but if she doesn't, you are in big trouble. And anyway, the shrinkage seems to be attributed to the brain cells being compressed - not an actual loss of cells. And, oh yes, it generally clears up within a few months after the birth."
I'm not going to debate this myth. I really think it's true. Case in point, today as I was walking to my car after work, I realized I didn't have my phone with me. After dropping off everything in my car, I walked back into work to look for my phone. It wasn't at my desk, so I called it, hoping that would help me find it. It didn't ring, so I walked back out to my car, and guess where I found it? That's right, where I always put it in my purse. That's just one small example of my life lately. I think I've lost at least 10-12%. My poor husband. I ask him all the time questions that I've already asked him. I probably sound like I'm on repeat. Luckily he's very patient, I mean he deals with middle school kids for a living. My forgetfulness can't be as bad as them, right?
I guess I'd rather be forgetful than have my feet grow an extra size. Only time will tell if I have to wear a size 12...
5 month hiatus over?
15 years ago

Katrien: What a great blog. Thanks for blogging for us! Cheryl
ReplyDeleteKatrien...I didn't realize what a great writer you are. Fun way to get daily updates. M
ReplyDelete